Business Analyst, Information Technology
Reporting to the senior project manager, information technology (IT), the business analyst will guide business stakeholders through the discovery, identification and documentation of business and functional requirements, process design, and desired outcomes for new technical systems and functionality. The work requires a balance of business area and technical skills; the ideal candidate should be able to switch between business and technical thinking easily.
We are looking for an efficient, driven, detail-oriented person who strives for quality and improvement. You need to be passionate about building great solutions and connecting the dots between business needs and implementation details. You are a self-starter and believe that the best results are achieved by effective teamwork.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- develop, maintain, and manage excellent relationships with business stakeholders to achieve project-specific and big picture goals
- develop and maintain a broad understanding of the College’s business, services, and stakeholders
- develop a solid working knowledge of the core business functions and the College’s key technology platforms
- capture user requirements in the form of user stories, providing the development team with context
- proactively communicate with stakeholders, development team and management on project goals, priorities, and requirements
- collaborate with users, development team and management to understand user and business needs
- analyze processes and produce documentation for improved business systems and operational effectiveness
- develop or participate in development of business cases for senior stakeholder review and sign-off
- design future state business processes, based on business requirements with business and technical team input; prepare and present to stakeholders
- facilitate collaborative business decisions amongst business and IT stakeholders
- lead QA testing efforts, ensuring test cases appropriately map to approved functional requirements
- coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews and other post-implementation support
- use business analysis methods, principles, practices and techniques in an IT project team environment
- prepare and deliver solution documentation and training materials for both IT and business stakeholders
- perform such other duties, functions, and responsibilities as assigned
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required skills and qualifications include:
- minimum of three to five years of experience in business analysis or a related field
- bachelor’s degree in business administration, science, engineering, management information systems, software development, project management, or related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education
- demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
- ability to manage stakeholder expectations and to build effective working relationships
- business acumen, including ability to analyze and communicate strategic requirements, develop action plans for senior stakeholders, and budgeting and finance experience
- a passion for creating solutions with a positive attitude to change
- thrives on challenges, enjoys taking on complex subjects and analyzing them to find workable solutions
- detail-oriented with demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, manage multiple priorities and work effectively under pressure
- strong technical background, including experience working with developers
- passionate about implementing effective business processes and building great systems
- IIBA CBAP or PMI-PBA certification, or other training in business analysis, is an asset
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click here to download the position description.
How To Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted via this page.
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page. Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.