Senior Business Analyst, Information Technology
Reporting to the senior project manager, the senior business analyst is responsible for guiding business stakeholders through the discovery, identification and documentation of business and functional requirements, process design, and desired outcomes for new technical systems and functionality. The senior business analyst is experienced at implementing systems that ensure strong user adoption and provide high value for the business.
A service-oriented leader and an expert communicator, the senior business analyst is a self-starter who believes the best results are achieved through effective teamwork. Driven and detail-oriented, the senior business analyst is able to switch between business and technical thinking easily. The senior business analyst is passionate about building great solutions and connecting the dots between business needs and implementation details.
Duties and responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop, maintain, and manage excellent relationships with business stakeholders to achieve project-specific and big picture goals. Proactively communicate status, risks, issues, and opportunities to stakeholders
- Develop and maintain a broad understanding of the College’s business, services, and stakeholders. Develop a solid working knowledge of the core business functions and the College’s key technology platforms
- Understand the technical capabilities and constraints of new and existing systems, and translates this technical information into easily understandable terms to ensure clarity and buy-in from non-IT stakeholders.
- Develop a complete understanding of business processes and clearly and succinctly documents findings. Uses this documentation to seek clarity and feedback from stakeholders.
- Gather, analyze, and document business, functional, reporting, and technical requirements using techniques such as interviews, site visits, surveys, document analysis, workshops, and process analysis.
- Develop artifacts such as requirements documents, process flow diagrams, gap analysis, and use cases to effectively convey requirements.
- Define the project testing approach in consultation with project/business team members, developing user acceptance test plans, end-to end-test plans, and smoke test plans.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews and other post-implementation support.
- Lead the user acceptance testing and facilitates the feedback to internal/external development teams as part of the iterative solution development process.
- Prepare and deliver solution documentation and training materials for both IT and business stakeholders.
- Facilitate the change management process to support solution implementation, including but not limited to communication planning and training delivery.
- Perform continued evaluation of end user adoption and works with end users to identify opportunities for further business process improvements.
- Understand IT priorities and works with the business on appropriate timelines for delivery. Within the IT department, advocate for business stakeholders, aligning solutions that are win-win for both sides.
- Develop sustainable, repeatable, and quantifiable business process improvements.
- In consultation with the senior project manager, facilitates the chartering of new initiatives by working with business leaders to define objectives and scope.
- Provide input to project manager on planning tasks, including timelines, dependencies and priorities; and gives regular status updates, such as highlighting potential risks.
- Mentor and coach business analysts.
- Perform other duties, functions, and responsibilities as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of six to eight years of related work experience (systems analyst, business analyst, design, application development and/or technical support) with proven ability to lead a multi-departmental business team through a process and systems change, from requirements gathering through to implementation and roll-out.
- Proven experience with business process review, redesign, and continuous improvement, including development of as-is and to-be state.
- Strong technical background, including experience working with software developers.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, science, engineering, management information systems, software development, project management, or related field; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- IIBA CBAP or PMI-PBA certification is an asset.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Competencies include:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing. Ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terminology and convey the intended outcome.
- Demonstrated initiative and self-direction abilities with good time management skills. Confidently takes ownership of projects and tasks.
- Thrives on challenges and enjoys taking on complex subjects and analyzing them to find workable solutions.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Personable, approachable, and engaged with demonstrates ability to build trust with stakeholders.
- Active listener and ability to draw out and synthesize information from stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in visual thinking, and ability to present complex information in an understandable visual or narrative model.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage concurrent projects and activities.
- Demonstrates continuous improvement mindset, good understanding of change management concepts and ability to recognize potential limitations, opportunities, and risks.
- Business acumen, including ability to analyze and communicate strategic requirements.
- Natural leader who fosters a friendly, team-oriented workplace where employees work safely and productively together.
- Demonstrated proficiency in using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and basic data analysis tools and methodologies.
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click here to download the job description.
How To Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted online via this page
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page. Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.