Administrative Assistant, Registrar's Office (3 days per week, 0.6 FTE)
Reporting to the executive office and board manager, the administrative assistant is responsible for providing a wide variety of administrative support services, all of which contribute to the efficient and professional operation of the registrar’s office.
It is expected that the administrative assistant has a genuine appreciation for and understanding of discretion and professionalism, is able to accept and assume responsibility, and has the ability to interpret and make decisions in accordance with prescribed procedures and practices of the College. It is expected that the administrative assistant maintains confidentiality, diplomacy and tact at all times.
The College is following recommendations from the provincial health officer and has work-from-home arrangements where possible. Due to the nature of this work, we require this position to be on-site.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- board/committee support
- assist with compiling all supporting documentation for the College Board and committees including Executive Committee and Nominations Committee
- assist with photocopying and preparation of material for the Board and committees including Executive Committee and Nominations Committee meetings
- ensure accurate uploads of all the Board and committee meeting documentation onto SharePoint
- arrange necessary printing and distribution of handouts and agendas
- book meeting rooms and arrange for catering requirements
- arrange necessary IT equipment such as overhead projectors, audiovisual equipment and flip charts
- provide administrative support, and assist the executive office and board manager in the day-to-day operation of Board business
- assist with compiling all supporting documentation and organizing of senior management meetings
- assist with compiling all supporting documentation and organizing of leadership meetings
- maintain master Board and committee list, including correspondence to incoming and outgoing committee members and tracking of all signed policies
- assist with all travel arrangements for the registrar, senior management team members and board members as appropriate
- monitor, track and maintain all records of expenditures, including submission of forms/receipts to finance department
- book flights and hotel accommodation as appropriate
- ensure registration of registrar, senior management team members and board members at conferences as required
- maintain the registrar’s office filing system
- ensure the procedure for record retention is followed in accordance with the guidelines and policies set out by the records, information and privacy department
- liaise with departments to ensure all committee minutes have been submitted and are filed and archived in accordance with College record retention guidelines
- assist the executive office and board manager in the coordination of events
- invite and confirm attendance of guests
- provide support as directed by the executive office and board manager and registrar in the planning and coordination of each event
- monitor, track and maintain an accurate master list of resolution numbers and original copies of resolutions
- compose and type routine correspondence and create documents based upon oral instructions or from draft notes
- assist in answering telephone inquiries: screening calls, responding to questions and forwarding as appropriate
- assist the executive office and board manager in coordinating the registrar's daily schedule and routine
- schedule and book various meetings, both internal and external, confirm attendance of guests, distribute material, arrange necessary IT equipment as well as catering requirements
- perform any other related duties as required to support the registrar’s office and the College
CONSEQUENCES OF ERROR / JUDGEMENT
The administrative assistant is expected to perform professionally and make proper and sound decisions. The administrative assistant has access to a wide range of confidential information which may be governed by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIPPA), so must make informed decisions regarding the release of information.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required skills and qualifications include:
- post-secondary education with training in administrative/secretarial practices or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- two to three years of recent related experience working in a professional office setting or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- ability to organize and set work priorities
- ability to maintain a calm demeanor during busy or stressful times
- ability to exercise tact and discretion when handling sensitive and/or confidential matters
- ability to work with discretion in preparing and handling information of a confidential or sensitive nature
- effective oral and written communication with accuracy and attention to detail
- demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work, work under time pressures to meet deadlines, and handle interruptions and changing priorities
- working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel, Share point experience an asset
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly-talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click here to download the position description.
How To Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted online via this page.
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page. Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.