Systems Administrator, Information Technology
Reporting to the IT operations manager, the system administrator is responsible for providing technical assistance, as a point of escalation and day-to-day operational support to the College. In addition to this, the system administrator will be responsible for creating and adjusting technical documentation to guarantee that standards are being respected.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- communicate clearly and effectively either electronically, by phone or in person with both technical and non-technical users experiencing difficulties in order to determine, resolve and document problems experienced
- collect, organize, and maintain a problems and solutions log for TIER 2 and 3
- perform troubleshooting and remediation, while updating documentation
- perform hands-on fixes, including software/hardware install and upgrade, implementing file backups and configuring systems and applications
- identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization
- support services for Microsoft related technologies: Windows 2008/2012, O365, MS-SQL, SharePoint, Exchange and Teams
- IT support relating to issues with the internal systems and network infrastructure
- provide escalated support services for virtualization technologies: VMware vSphere/ESXi
- provide technical services and support at the network level: WAN and LAN connectivity, routers, firewalls, and security
- provide support for remote access solutions: VPN, Terminal Services
- act as escalation point in troubleshooting and resolving backup and DR technology such as Veeam Backup and Replication
- conduct administration and maintenance of the remote monitoring and management system: update agent scripts, respond to alerts, monitor dashboard, and periodic system review
- document maintenance for all computer systems infrastructure
- support IT related project execution support as needed
- participate in on-call rotation
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required skills and qualifications include:
- professional IT Certifications, such as: Microsoft MCP, MCSA, or MCSE, VMware VCP
- diagnosis skills of technical issues—root cause analysis
- ability to multi-task and adapt to changes quickly
- ability to work in a team and communicate effectively
- minimum of five years of equivalent experience in the IT industry displaying progressive responsibility and achievement in a large-scale environment
- extremely reliable and punctual
- excellent customer service skills
- responsible self-starter who can effectively plan and organize his/her own work
- positive and enthusiastic attitude
- strong communication skills and command of the English language, both written and verbal, are required for this position
- technical experience with Windows Server including roles/features such as IIS, .NET, RDS, along with Active Directory
- familiar with scripting language such as Visual Basic and PowerShell
- Sophos knowledge is considered a plus
Note: Applicants may be quizzed during interview process.
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly-talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click here to download the position description.
How To Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted online via this page.
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page. Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.