Accreditation Assistant, Non-Hospital Medical and Surgical Facilities Program
Reporting to the manager, accreditations, NHMSFAP, the accreditation assistant will collaborate with program staff and other College departments to uphold its mandate to establish, monitor and ensure standards of practice in private medical and surgical facilities in British Columbia.
This position supports the procedural pain management (PPM) accreditation program. The incumbent is expected to act professionally, demonstrate initiative, exhibit good judgment and make informed decisions. This position interacts regularly with the deputy registrar, director, NHMSFAP managers and staff, and various College departments and other external stakeholders.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- work independently and collaboratively with program staff to ensure the department functions efficiently and effectively
- prepare correspondence and meeting agendas, recording, transcribing, editing and distributing minutes for the program
- coordinate and schedule appointments, conferences, meetings, special events for internal and external stakeholders
- prepare written communication pertaining to a variety of NHMSFAP matters
- manage and contribute to the ongoing improvement of the NHMSFAP database and other program-related IT initiatives
- manage paper file system in compliance with the College records retention policies
- respond to inquiries from College staff, the public, non-hospital medical/surgical facilities and other offices external to the College on a wide range of topics
- manage annual facilities statistical reporting process to facilitate oversight of facility activities and invoicing of annual fees
- prepare annual fee statements in collaboration with the finance department
- develop administrative processes, policies and procedures related to the NHMSFAP
The incumbent works in collaboration with the accreditation team for the following:
- liaise with Procedural Pain Management (PPM) facilities to schedule accreditation assessments and reassessments as follows:
- organize and maintain the NHMSFAP PPM accreditation files
- organize, monitor and follow up on accreditation documentation throughout the PPM accreditation process
- respond to telephone inquiries from a variety of sources
- liaise with PPM facilities and accreditors during the accreditation process
- arrange accreditation team travel and accommodation
- prepare statements and ensure accurate accounting of accreditation team honoraria and expenses
- assist accreditation teams and collate and distribute accreditation materials
- edit and proofread accreditation reports
- prepare final accreditation report and accreditation certificate
Physician privileging and credentialing
The incumbent works in collaboration with the quality improvement lead for the following:
- assist the quality improvement lead in developing application process for privileging of physicians performing PPM procedures
- conduct preliminary assessments of applications for medical staff appointment at PPM facilities ensuring that the medical director has submitted all of the applicant’s relevant information including credentials, training and current experience
- analyze the applicant/registrant’s credentials with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada specialty, subspecialty, special program, and/or diploma requirements
- analyze the applicant/registrant’s credentials with requirements set out by the BC Medical Quality Initiative (BCMQI)
- follow up with facilities/physicians to provide supporting documentation or additional information, including information about credentials, training and current experience
- review the applicant/registrant’s registration history with other College departments and medical regulatory authorities (i.e. monitoring, complaints, disciplinary or other issues)
- respond to applicant/registrant and facility inquiries
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required skills and qualifications include:
- post-secondary education with training in administrative/secretarial practices or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- a minimum of three years of related experience is required
- ability to work both independently and as a team member
- interpersonal and organizational skills, excellent oral and written communication with accuracy and attention to detail
- ability to demonstrate a high level of initiative, analytical and investigative skills
- ability to multi-task, prioritize, work under pressure and meet deadlines
- ability to interpret, research and apply complex standards and processes
- ability to exercise good judgment in recognizing scope of authority and protecting confidential information
- ability to type 70 wpm and operate a normal range of office equipment
- intermediate knowledge level of MS Office software that includes word processing, spreadsheet, database applications, PowerPoint, electronic mail and scheduling applications
- excellent communication skills, including written, using business English, verbal, editing and proofreading
- experience in medical/surgical office administration an asset
- previous experience interfacing with patients or the public is an asset
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly-talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click here to download the position description.
How To Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted online via this page
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page. Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.