Complaints Manager, Complaints and Practice Investigations
Reporting to the director, complaints and practice investigations, the complaints manager provides management and administrative support to the director and manages over 400 files applying discretion and judgement to support the Inquiry Committee in accordance with College policies and procedures, and in compliance with the rules pursuant to the Health Professions Act (HPA).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- review and analyze all incoming professional conduct complaints and referrals from other College departments
- review materials for presentation to the Inquiry Committee
- work collaboratively with the clinical manager and other staff to ensure that complaint files are processed in an effective and efficient manner
- provide leadership and guidance to staff as it relates to complaint investigations by reviewing and analysing all conduct files for completeness, and providing direction to administrative staff to ensure all necessary information is obtained
- review registrant files for prior complaint matters, using critical thinking and analysis to establish any patterns of behaviour
- maintain contact with and be available to selected complainants; this connection will help inform the work of other team members, including the complaints assistants, legal counsel, and deputy registrar
Practice investigation management
- manage all aspects of practice investigations and Inquiry Committee Panel E
- organize and direct all skill and knowledge investigations directed by the Board
- attend and support registrar and College staff during investigatory and concluding interviews
Human resources management
- management and supervision of four direct reports
- complete probationary, semi-annual and annual performance evaluations for staff
- undertake regular meetings with individual staff
- provide direction, support, training, mentoring and oversight to staff members as appropriate
- assign or delegate tasks as appropriate and monitor staff performance
- review personal and confidential matters with staff members as required
- promote teamwork and share appropriate information with staff in a timely manner
- be available by phone to discuss or explain challenging situations with complainants, registrants, legal counsel, and other members of the public as required
- follow up on Inquiry Committee meeting outcomes
- other administrative duties as required
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required skills and qualifications include:
- three to five years of experience in regulatory compliance, or a health authority with responsibility for direct reports
- bachelor’s degree, preferably in a health-related discipline, management or business
- knowledge and understanding of provincial and federal legislation governing health-care regulation
- familiarity with medical terminology is an asset
- proven ability to mentor, motivate and develop staff
- working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- proven ability to perform multiple tasks, balance continuous demands and priorities and meet deadlines
- strong interpersonal skills
- ability to take initiative and work both independently and as a team member
- ability to exercise good judgment in recognizing scope of authority and protecting confidential information is a must
- ability to apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to complex situations for improving efficiencies and effectiveness
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly-talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click here to download the job description.
How To Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted online via this page
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page. Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.