Library Technician (0.8 FTE), Library Services
Reporting to the librarian, the library technician acquires and catalogues print and electronic library materials, provides input in book selection, places and receives orders, performs cataloguing, processes invoices, and maintains vendor relationships. The library technician also shares duties with other staff for management of library material and maintenance of the library’s general email inbox, and participates in daily library functions and the provision of quick reference service.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- orders and catalogues print and electronic materials
- maintains the accuracy of the catalogue
- tracks budget expenses
- monitors library’s general email inbox and replies to patrons, problem solves or routes to appropriate staff
- supports and performs tasks of library colleagues as needed
- performs other duties, functions, and responsibilities as assigned by the librarian and/or director of library services
Incumbent works independently under general supervision. Utmost attention to detail is required to ensure that library patrons receive timely access to up-do-date clinical information.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required skills and qualifications include:
- library technician diploma or equivalent education and experience
- knowledge of MARC, AACRII, RDA, NLM classification and MeSH headings
- familiarity and facility with integrated library systems and databases
- ability to establish and maintain working relationships with publishers and vendors, and to negotiate discounts and services
- ability to lift heavy books and boxes up to 35 lbs.
- excellent diplomatic communication skills, both written and verbal
- demonstrated high level of initiative, time management and organizational ability
- attention to detail and a high level of accuracy
- ability to organize and set work priorities
- ability to work both independently and as a team member
- ability to maintain a calm demeanor during busy or stressful times
- ability to exercise good judgment in recognizing scope of authority and protecting confidential information a must
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly-talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click here to download the job description.
How To Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted online via this page
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page. Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.