Assessment Coordinator, Physician Practice Enhancement Program
Reporting to the physician relations manager, the assessment coordinator carries out the mandate of the physician practice enhancement program (PPEP), which defines the process by which it can require physicians to participate in physician assessment and educational activities in accordance with College policies and procedures, and in compliance with the rules pursuant to the Health Professions Act (HPA).
As assessment coordinator, the employee will work both independently and collaboratively to achieve the mandate of the department and strategic direction of the College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- implement the department’s plan and strategic goals (KPIs)
- coordinate 600 peer assessments
- ensure consistency in the assessor’s completion of the assessment process and forms (guidance on the selection of patient charts, providing appropriate assessment forms)
- determine physician eligibility, match eligible physicians with appropriate assessors, and facilitate physician participation in, and completion of, educational activities
- facilitate and review the completion of financial data for practice assessors, including travel expenses and invoices
- coordinate ad hoc projects as directed by the deputy registrar, director or Physician Practice Enhancement Panel
- achieve annual assessment goals and maintain work plan
- effectively manage a complex, high-volume workload
- follow-up/bring-forward system to ensure that panel decisions are implemented in a timely and effective manner, and in compliance with relevant sections of the HPA and College Bylaws
- maintain appropriate assessment tracking/alert system for establishing proprieties and complete long-term follow up in meeting departmental objectives and benchmarks
- assist with maintaining system and procedures for manual and electronic files to ensure that appropriate documentation and data are collected and entered
- assist the manager and data analyst to implement program improvement and program development
- assist in the development and continual maintenance of assessment database
- ensure availability of quality physician members for quality assurance activities
- coordinate assessor training workshops and the annual assessor conference
- liaise with the University of British Columbia division of continuing professional development (CPD) regarding accreditation process and continuing medical education (CME) approval
- research, solicit and review new assessors through recommendations from other College programs, physician contacts, and active peer assessors
- contribute to the identification of potential new assessors and the recruitment process with the program manager
- maintain and update information on assessor’s availability, assessment preference, locations and contact information
- responsible for providing assessor feedback
- ensure timely resolution of assessments
- build quality relationships with assessors to ensure timely completion of the College’s physician reviews
- act as contact for assessors and College staff inquiring on status of assessments
- responsible for granting ad hoc exemptions/extensions for assessments
- responsible for multi-source feedback (MSF) non-respondent list
- respond to inquiries about the assessment and process, and provide information about new procedures internally and to external stakeholders
- liaise with other College areas to implement the assessment, obtain all information relevant to a specific physician and to the assessment, and identify solutions to physician-specific assessment issues
- supervision of department staff
- complete probationary, semi-annual and annual performance evaluations for staff
- undertake regular biweekly meetings with individual staff
- provide direction, support, training, mentoring and oversight to staff members as appropriate
- assign or delegate tasks as appropriate and monitor staff performance
- promote teamwork and share appropriate information with staff in a timely manner
- prioritize tasks for support staff, and oversee and ensure timely completion of tasks assigned to support staff
- coach and develop staff as appropriate
- team collaboration
- collaborate with College departments and staff to review existing business processes and make recommendations to the director for improvement
- assist the manager with developing and expanding the relationships with other health regulatory organizations regarding matters of PPEP
SKILL AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required skills and qualifications include:
- graduation from a university or recognized post-secondary institution in a health-related discipline and/or five-years of experience working in a health service/system
- three or more years of management experience, with direct responsibility for the supervision of one or more staff
- exceptional interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- exceptional multi-tasking and organizational skills
- ability to exercise tact and discretion when handling sensitive and/or confidential matters
- demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- an intermediate (advanced preferred) knowledge level of Microsoft Office software, including word processing, spreadsheets, database applications, electronic mail and scheduling applications
- effective oral and written communication with accuracy and attention to detail
- ability to compose correspondence using business English
Click here to download the position description.
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
All applications for this position must be submitted via this page.
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page.
Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.