Administrative Assistant, Complaints and Practice Investigations
Reporting to the coordinator, complaints and practice investigations and in accordance with College policies and procedures, the administrative assistant is responsible for maintaining complaint files associated with practice investigations authorized pursuant to section 33(4) of the Health Professions Act and providing clerical support for the daily activities of the complaints department and other College departments as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
Provide administrative and clerical support to the complaints and practice investigations department
- open, maintain and organize files assigned to the complaints and practice investigations team
- manage a bring-forward system and send form letters to physicians and their legal counsel accordingly
- review complaint files for completeness, consistency and accuracy
- organize the scheduling of practice investigations and prepare materials for on-site investigation
- request medical charts from physicians and facilities, and coordinate the assessment of these charts with medical reviewers
- communicate with external parties, including physicians subject to monitoring, complainants, witnesses, health authorities and outside agencies
- schedule meetings, interviews and appointments, both internal and external, review, photocopy and distribute related files and documents, as required
- draft memoranda of interviews with various parties
- review and triage incoming correspondence to determine next steps, and decide which matters need to be escalated to management for immediate attention
- accurately track various matters for follow-up and further action
- send reminder notices to ensure investigations are conducted promptly
- develop and initiate mechanisms for tracking registrants with limits and conditions on their practice
- work independently and collaboratively with the coordinator, director, and other department staff
- draft and proofread all outgoing correspondence and other documents or reports
- assist with departmental statistics and reporting as required
- other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the coordinator and the director, complaints and practice investigations
- assist with the preparation for Inquiry Committee Panel E meetings and interviews, including preparing agendas, photocopying, scanning, and distribution of materials
- record and file minutes for the committee as required
- sort, classify and file records generated for integration into an electronic or paper-based filing system
- coordinate the culling and archiving of semi-active or inactive records and files for storage
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required skills and qualifications include:
- successful completion of grade 12 supplemented by a two‐year office administration diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience
- background in health care or familiarity with medical language is preferred
- ability to record minutes of meetings, and in-person and telephone interviews
- working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, and Adobe Reader
- excellent editing and proof reading skills
- attention to detail and a high level of accuracy
- ability to organize and set work priorities
- ability to maintain a calm demeanor during busy or stressful times
- demonstrate sound judgment when dealing with sensitive and confidential information with ability to identify when to escalate matters to supervisor
- team oriented and ability to work collegially in a multidisciplinary environment
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal including the ability to work with discretion in preparing and handling information of a confidential or sensitive nature
- ability to exercise tact and discretion when handling sensitive and/or confidential matters
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click here to download the position description.
How To Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted via this page.
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page. Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.