Practice Standards Coordinator
Reporting to the director, communications and public affairs (CPA), the practice standards coordinator (policy coordinator) is responsible for overseeing the development process for practice standards that guide the medical profession. The practice standards coordinator will ensure that standards are developed in accordance with best practices and the College’s policy framework, including research and analysis, facilitating consultation processes and the development of drafts, and version control and archiving. The practice standards coordinator will establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of external contacts, including patient advocacy groups, outreach coordinators in the health authorities, and other health partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- conduct regular scans of relevant environmental trends and issues, including regular monitoring of government transcripts, bylaw revisions, media reports, consultations by other partners, and literature reviews to confirm currency of existing practice standards and assess whether a new practice standard or a revision should be considered
- conduct impact assessments of proposed new or revised practice standards to ensure issues/challenges are addressed while mitigating negative impacts
- manage the practice standards development process from start to finish; identify who, when and how to consult along the way, ensuring transparency, stakeholder accountability and increased awareness
- compile and analyze feedback, identify themes, prepare a report for review with an internal working group or a committee of the Board, and facilitate the approval process
- assess the success of the practice standard development process, measure outputs, identify how and when to communicate results of a consultation and widely promote a new or revised practice standard to increase awareness internally and externally
- develop a tracking system to ensure appropriate version control and archiving
- other related responsibilities as needs arise, such as writing briefing notes, website copy, supporting documents, articles, or correspondence in response to a particular consultation process or practice standard
In consultation with the director, CPA, make decisions based on the steps that guide the development of practice standards:
- level and depth of research and analysis
- stakeholders, including identifying subject matter experts as needed
- methodologies and tools for effective engagement
- time frames
- manage own workflow and scheduling
- able to develop project plans that are reviewed and approved by the director
- accountable for ensuring milestones are met
- able to effectively present and report to committees of the Board
CONSEQUENCE OF ERROR/JUDGMENT
- minimal – role works under direction and in consultation with the director, CPA
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required skills and qualifications include:
- master’s degree in public health policy or related graduate program preferred
- experience working for a health authority, ministry or regulator would be considered an asset
- thorough knowledge of the principles, practices, techniques, methods and procedures applicable to research and policy development
- understanding of International Association for Public Participation principles and how to apply them in a regulatory setting
- interview and presentation skills
- exceptional business writing skills
- strong computer/web skills
- able to identify appropriate software or web resources to support best practices in consultation
- project management
- able to establish effective working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external contacts
The College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia has been recognized as one of BC’s top employers since 2011 and one of Canada’s top 100 employers since 2014. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees. We offer an excellent working environment, opportunities for personal and professional growth, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Click here to download the position description.
How To Apply
All applications for this position must be submitted via this page.
Please read through all of the questions; you may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document before you start filling out the fields below.
To begin the application process, complete the questions below. You will have the opportunity to attach your resume and other documents on the next page. Note: You must submit your resume online. Ensure you have your resume ready to attach.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.